Thursday, June 09, 2005

pro ban on smoking.

Even the most progressive people I know get caught up in opposing the smoking ban, saying, "We can't let the government decide this for us," "it's a return to the prohibition era politics" etc. Um, so when did you become libertarians? Now, I am not the biggest fan of government doing everything, even though I do support a strong government role. I have lived in several places where smoking bans have been enacted and have noticed that, WITHOUT fail, there was little difference in the amount of business bars got, and going out was a much better experience. Oh, and for the whiners complaining about going outside, I am from MAINE.

Also,why would anyone considering themselves progressive want to get in bed with tobacco corporations? (Sure, i am one of the alcohol industry's big fans, but still.) Smoking not only makes the smoker sick, but everyone around them. It's disgusting. Sometimes evolution happens for a reason, i.e, enough people realize that old habits are stupid and hurtful and force others to change their ways. Sure, I wouldn't say this about, say, placing a ban on drinking in bars or something. Why? Well, if you don't get in a car drunk, then you're not hurting anyone other than yourself. And I am a HUGE proponent of not driving, such as shutting off 18th street completely from automobiles. Stop parking problems, stop drunk driving deaths. I realize it's still inconsistent, but I'm biased. Shoot me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home