Tuesday, June 07, 2005

cyber stalking. blehhh.

The internet is a wonderful thing, except when it comes to things that allow you to quite easily find lots of information about someone you may be interested in. Not that knowing this info itself is a bad thing; rather, taking your time, thoughts, and energy to search for it is somewhat pathetic, especially considering the fact they're probably not doing it for you. Also, it's always awkward when you see them, because you have to ask how they're doing and pretend you don't know.

For this reason, it's a bad thing I'm into the post reporter for instance, who had a loooooooong feature on the front page of one of the sections recently (yes, purposefully vague), or a certain activist friend of mine who i've been known to google more than once...just to see what he's up to. They both have so much to google, and it always makes me feel like they're doing so much more than what I'm doing, and sad because if they were to google me, they would come up dreadfully short. The worst is when I get obsessed with people I don't even know, such as the Foer brothers...

so, how about that Downing street memo? Which of these items is more shocking:
a) lack of media attention
b) lack of congressional action
c) lack of denials on part of bush admin (yes, there have been some, but kind of half hearted in a smarmy kinda way)

I mean, honestly, with everything else going on, I'm not that worked up about it, which is always more shocking to me than whatever it is that is worth being worked up about.

Got this e-mail on the DC Indymedia listserve: Pacifica is in the top 1% of non-profit fouhdationsfor both assests and revenue. There are newdevelopements that indicate a worsening stituation,with Ambrose now ED and women planning a march against sexism im Berkley. These issues, if not dealt with, will shatter the institution.

Don't know what that's about. Are they saying women marching against sexism is a good or a bad thing?

It's interesting to me that so many left, progressive, liberal, and radical organizations and movements end up imploding because of internal tensions due to race, gender, and other unequal power dynamics. I know that these days those orgs tend to have millions of dismantling oppression trainings and workshops, but are there other ways to move beyond it? (Will I ever stop looking at contemporary progressive activism and being frustrated with its staleness and my own feelings of helplessness?) Will empowerment stop being a buzz word and actually mean something?

Almost finished with House of Leaves, finally. Anyone that wants to say "that's so 2000" or whatever can suck it. I actually enjoyed it.

Gotta get back to work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home