Thursday, June 16, 2005

you got served!

sonja, I am posting this link just for you. The post itself is about jessica cutler (boring!), but I thought you'd appreciate the "you got served" reference. (For those of you not in the know, the joke is that I got a LOT of mileage out of saying that in a party recently. Sonja appreciated it. I think a few "oh wow"s were uttered.)

Last night, on my way to the employment justice clinic, I passed a group of guys milling around outside capitol hill records, one of those hardcore record stores that only djs go to. (Yes, i know how dorky that makes me seem.) They told me that there was an art show upstairs, so I thought, hey, I'll check it out. Well, it turns out that it was all grafitti artists, which was pretty awesome. It's funny, because all of it is very public art: painted on tunnels, on signs, and on the sides of buildings, but seeing it in a gallery validated it as art somehow. At the same time though, shouldn't art be valid for the sake of being art? And isn't it being shown in a gallery giving heed to the idea that art should be for the elite people that go to galleries? Well, no, because it was in a record store, not a schmancy ass gallery, and because they were selling it, meaning that it was probably necessary to make a living off of it. Anyway, I enjoyed getting a glimpse into a new (to me) subculture, because DC seems so staid sometimes. (Probably like all 5 taggers in DC were in that one little space.)

Went out with F afterwards. Blehhh, that's a confusing situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home