Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Conservatives are hypocrites?! Who knew??

I guess four people sending me that article was a sign that the echo chamber would be completely abuzz about the stupid NYTimes Heritage Foundation article I mentioned yesterday. (Jesus Christ people, how predictable are you??) Is it just me, or is Matthew Yglesias' discussion of TNR's treatment of the topic almost silly? Wow, Heritage is investing a lot of money in instilling this ideology into young conservatives, but amazingly, they also happen to be the ones with all the money and connections! Wow, do you think that has something to do with why they're conservative? Do you think "conservatism" in that sense has strayed from its original free market fundamentalist roots and just gone on to mean, "I want to hold on to my $ and power at all costs so I'm all for a system that lets me do that"?? Shocking. I guess the glaring contradiction is too irresistible not to point out, but still, having hung out with a few people that work at Heritage (you don't want to know), I can tell you that it's not really that suprising or entertaining to me. But maybe I'm just being overly cynical again. I guess it goes to show how adept the right has gotten at cloaking greed in ideological terms. Well, good for them.

Okay, enough with all of this left/right bullshit, I'm boring even myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Brynne said...

Um, who is this? Obviously someone I know, otherwise you wouldn't know who I am. Thanks, though!

Anyway, Douglas and Faison have pulled out of the agreement, meaning that HT will still be able to put in the grocery store but without going through the whole MOU process. According to the ANC Commissioners,
"For the immediate neighbors and others in Reed-Cooke who fought the PUD, the bad news is that in all likelihood they'll end up with the worst of both worlds -- a full-service grocery store right in their midst, coupled with most of the previously planned office space, and no Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to mitigate the most severe impacts on them. Hours of operation, delivery hours, management of the loading docks, transit incentives to discourage employees from driving to work and parking on the street, and use of the existing Class A liquor license (with no ABC voluntary agreement attached) rather than a new and more limited Class B license will now be almost entirely within HT's own discretion."

By the way, in case you all are wondering, kanopeykin is my childhood nickname. :)

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home